Do I need a fire permit? How much does it cost?

Please see By-Law 2020-14  to see if you require a fire permit.  Fire permits are available at the Municipal Office for a fee of $5.

How can I make payments on taxes or water and sewer bills?

Tax or water and sewer payments can be made by mail or in person at the Municipal Office.  Cash, cheque, interac or credit card payments are accepted.  We also accept credit card payments via telephone.  You can now pay your bill online with most major financial institutions.  We also accept post-dated cheques.

How do I contact the library?

Please call the Mindemoya Library at 705-377-5334 or contact Claire Cline CEO/Chief Librarian at bookworm@amtelecom.net

Please note that Providence Bay Library is permanently closed.

When is recycling pick up?

Recycling pickup is every Wednesday. Cardboard one week and then Plastics/metals are picked up the other week, alternating throughout the year. Visit our Garbage and Recycling Page for more details. GFL Environmental Inc is contracted for this service and can be contacted at (705) 356-4118.

When is garbage collection?

Curbside garbage pick-up is every Wednesday. All garbage is to be out at the curb by 6 a.m. GFL Environmental Inc is contracted for this service and can be contacted at (705) 356-4118.

For more information visit https://www.centralmanitoulin.ca/central-manitoulin/waste-recycling/garb...

How do I get a pass to take garbage to the landfill site?

Ratepayers in the Municipality are eligible to receive a card that enables them access to deposit household garbage at the Municipal Landfill Sites free of charge. Cards are available at the Municipal Administration Building, 6020 Hwy. 542, Mindemoya.  Accepted items, tipping fees, and landfill hours are available on our website under Waste and Recycling, Landfill Information.

When are the landfill sites open? What do they take?

Summer Season 

Victoria Day Weekend in May to Labour Day Weekend in September
Big Lake: Saturday and Sunday 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Providence Bay: Thursday, Saturday and Sunday 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Fall, Winter and Spring

Labour Day Weekend in September to Victoria Day Weekend in May
Big Lake: Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon
Providence Bay: Thursday & Saturday 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. 

Visit the Landfill Information Page for more information

When will I receive water and sewer bills?

The Municipality sends bills quarterly - March, June, September and December.  Commercial meters are read and billed quarterly.  Rates are available at the Municipal Office.

When can I expect to receive my tax bills?

Tax bills are mailed twice a year covering the period of January 1st to December 31st annually Your Interim Tax Bill is mailed by February 1st. Payment due dates are February 28th and April 30th. If a property has changed ownership, send the tax bill to the new owner or return it to the Municipal Office indicating to whom the transfer of title has been made. To prevent misdirected tax bills, please advise the tax department in writing of the mailing address change. Your final Tax Bill will be mailed by the beginning of August. Any payment made in the Interim Tax Bill will be deducted from your August bill. Payment due dates are at the end of August and the end of October. Please note that failure to receive a tax bill does not excuse the taxpayer from responsibility for payment of the taxes nor relieve liability for penalty due to late payment.

How do I bring forward any issues and concerns to Committee and Council?

Contact the municipal office and speak with the appropriate department to determine if your concerns can be addressed within the Department’s ongoing service plan.

If you are unable to resolve the issue or concern through staff, contact your Councillor and discuss your concerns directly with him or her. You may find that your Councillor may already be working to resolve the matter or can provide support or assistance.

Your next step may require an appearance before one of the Committees. Members of the public who wish to make presentations on their own behalf, or on the behalf of companies and organizations, are called delegations. Contact the Municipal CAO/Clerk's office and they will help you determine which Committee meeting you will need to attend. At the Committee you will have an opportunity to present your concerns, including any action you would like taken, for the Committee’s consideration. You may request to be a delegation by phone, email, or fax.

If the issue is a matter currently on the agenda for a Committee, you can register as a delegate up to 48 hours prior to the actual committee meeting.

If your item is not directly related to an item listed in the current agenda for the Committee, you will need to provide the Municipal CAO/Clerk’s office with a letter/email detailing your concerns, including any action you would like taken, you would like the Committee to consider. The Municipality will place that item on the next appropriate committee agenda and inform you of the date, time and location of the meeting.

All recommendations from Committee are included on the agenda of the next scheduled Council meeting.

How do matters come before Council for decision?

Council deals with a wide variety of issues. Generally, the issues are presented at one of the standing committees of Council. At the committee level staff reports, community issues and concerns are presented for consideration.

I'm a new resident to Central... what day do the waste and recycling pickup trucks come by?

Wednesday mornings. Please have your garbage curbside by 6:00 am.

A Little About Central

The Municipality of Central Manitoulin is located in the centre of Manitoulin Island with an abundance of lakes, rivers, and beaches. The Municipality includes the villages and hamlets of Mindemoya, Providence Bay, Spring Bay, Sandfield and Big Lake. We offer diverse attractions and unique landmarks such as our sandy beach in Providence Bay or access to Lake Manitou, the largest lake on the island. We invite you to visit our community in the "heart" of Manitoulin Island. 

Find out more...

On The Map